- Use a dull knife or spoon to gently remove excess mayo.
- Flush as much of the stain out using warm water.
- Pre-treat the stain by rubbing a bit of Persil® Proclean® liquid laundry detergent into the stain. Let it sit for about 10 minutes to give the enzymes time to work their magic.
- Wash immediately according to the garment’s care instructions. Though it might be counterintuitive, it’s best to remove mayo stains using cold water.
- Check the stain to make sure it has been removed completely. If it hasn’t, repeat the steps above.
- Once the stain has been removed, dry the garment according to care instructions. Do not throw the garment into the tumble dryer until the stain is gone, or the stain will become very difficult to remove.
Selecting the right detergent.
This controversial condiment is made using lots of oil and eggs, so when it stains, your stain remover is going to need to do some heavy lifting to get it out. Because mayo is a fat-based stain, you should be using a stain removal detergent that is strong enough to break down the oil molecules. The Stain Fighter from Persil® ProClean® liquid laundry detergent fits the bill. With this powerful detergent, you’ll be removing mayonnaise stains from clothing in no time!
How to remove mayo stains from delicates
Removing mayo stains from delicate fabrics is possible – you just need to act quickly. The longer you let the stain sit, the harder it will be to get out. This is true for all types of stains, but especially for those on delicates. You may also need to repeat the pre-treatment steps a few times, but keep at it, and remember to use an heavy-duty laundry detergent . Make sure to test the garment first on an inconspicuous area to make sure it is not damaged by the detergent
For those delicate items that can only be dry cleaned, gently scrape off any excess mayo, blot with a dry white paper towel, and head to the cleaner’s as soon as possible. Make sure to point out the stain, mentioning that it’s from mayonnaise so that the professional cleaner can know how to best tackle the stain.